Monday, December 7, 2009

Homemade Vanilla Experiment

I have found some recipes online to make your own Homemade Vanilla Extract and decided to try to make my own as holiday gifts.
You need Vodka and Vanilla Beans. I bought Vodka that wasn't too expensive in case it didn't work out! A friend recommended this Vodka and said it didn't leave that bad after taste. I bought a 2 pack of Vanilla Beans as Costco, it was 10 beans for $12 which I thought was a great deal.
You need to split them down the middle for the flavor to come out, but leave the top still attached.
Then I tossed them all in my jug of Vodka. Then I needed to leave them sit for 8-10 weeks and hope for the best.
Now that it has been a few weeks I have put them in individual bottles to "brew" better. I think I will need to add another bean to each bottle to really make it work. I read that you should have 3 beans per 1 cup of Vodka, but I may try it with 2 beans and see how it works. This is something that you should be able to just add more Vodka to your bean bottle when you are getting low and will last for a long time.

No comments: