Sunday, September 21, 2008

World Alzheimer’s Day Contest

In celebration of World Alzheimer’s Day Carol King over at http://myblogbycammie.blogspot.com/ is having a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE contest. You should check it out!

The whole idea it to make a card and thank one(or more) of the caregivers who take care of Alzheimer's patients. It is such a great idea! Here is a quote from the Alzheimer's Association:

"There are an estimated 5 million Americans currently affected, with another person developing Alzheimer's every 71 seconds ... By mid-century, someone will develop the disease every 33 seconds unless we do something.Alzheimer's disease is an escalating epidemic due to our aging population. In fact, 10 million baby boomers will develop Alzheimer's disease in their lifetime".

My grandma was just diagnosed with early stages of Alzheimer's, luckily she can still live in an assisted living apartment on her own(with people checking on regularly) but I can still see the impact it has on all of those around her.

I need to go & make a card! I think I will send it to my mom because I can see all of the stress my mother feels making sure that my Grandma is ok.

2 comments:

Carolyn King said...

Thanks Janet.Prayers for your mom too~

America said...

Great to know. Sorry to hear about these stats and your family. Didnt realize how much of an epidemic this was, so thank you for telling us who visit your blog. Hugs...